[Arm-netbook] Warning about tablets/netbooks with detachable keyboards

chadvellacott at sasktel.net chadvellacott at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 17 15:12:00 GMT 2016

On 16.12.14 9:21, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Le ~, 13 Dec 2016 17:46:11 +0000
> Alexander Ross <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me> a écrit:
>
>> heh im mostly sure luke had no desire for the keyboard to be modular,
>> as keyboards where such a nightmere. the work for french keyboard
>> firmware was for the same model but diff labels and key combos
>> basicly. as i understand it.
>>
>> could be wrong but i think this is the case.
>
> Broadly right. ISTR some rare keys might exist in FR that don't in US
> (or the other way around), but essentially yes, FR vs US is a label and
> combination issue.

      Maybe you are referring to something else or more-specific, but as far as I
understand-
    Common international key-boards have 1 more key (105 if full-size) than common
US-key-boards (104).  (Other differences can be placement, currency-sign available,
and other symbols or special letters.)
    The additional key can even be found on a lap-top which uses a condensed layout
without separate number-pad (and with only one key for "Super"/"Meta"/"Win",
grumble grumble), and is otherwise the US-lay-out.
    The additional key is normally just left of the bottom row of letters.
    Sample labels on it are double angle-quoters << >> or (as a second key with) |
and \
    It looks like lay-outs of US plus additional key, are used by the Romanian
programmers' lay-out, and the Slovak QWERTY-lay-out
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY).

      It is nice to have the additional key, for non-default key-bindings
("shortcuts", "hotkeys"), and for non-default lay-outs which are provided by
"software".