[Arm-netbook] offlineimap syncing off of gmail...

Julie Marchant onpon4 at riseup.net
Fri Dec 16 14:11:14 GMT 2016

On 12/16/2016 12:52 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  don't for god's sake trust what you read on wikipedia, it's
> "ignorance by consensus".
>
>  google the 2014 guardian newspaper article.
>
>  he's HIGHLY respected in the intelligence community.

You mean this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/jun/19/open-source-revolution-conquer-one-percent-cia-spy

It's written by Nafeez Ahmed, a conspiracy theorist who thinks 9/11 was
an inside job. That raises my skepticism alarm right away. Just trusting
whatever some conspiracy theorist wrote in an article on the Guardian
would be foolish. That said, I don't even know what this article has to
do with Internet services or why you brought it up. It starts by
promoting a bunch of books these two wrote and then goes on to talk
about "open source intelligence", the idea of intelligence agencies that
don't collect any secret data. Nothing in there at all is about Internet
services.

The claim that Steele is "hugely respected" in the article, the only
part of it that you specifically referenced, is entirely unsourced. It
seems to just be Ahmed's unsubstantiated opinion.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your emails with GnuPG: