[Arm-netbook] offlineimap syncing off of gmail...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 16 09:20:23 GMT 2016

On 12/16/16, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:
>
>> after trying for 90 minutes to connect to accounts.google.com last
>> night, with over twenty refreshes, finally obtaining just the HTML of
>> a page then having to spend ANOTHER hour just to get the matching
>> CSS... only to run into HTTP proxy problems and having to clear the
>> cache and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN....
>>
>> ... i'm absolutely sick and tired of the fucking fucked internet here,
>> how it's interfering with my ability to communicate, get source code
>> and much more.
>>
>> so, i'm converting to offline imap, setting up the "prayer webmail"
>> client, a cyrus imap server, and syncing everything to my laptop now i
>> have the spare space on the 500GB SSD.
>
> If you can deal with emacs, have a look at notmuch

 i remember you mentioning it a few years ago, so yes, i installed it
in preparation, a few days ago.  only did cyrus last night so haven't
got round to configuring it

> Even if you cannot -- you should probably have a look at notmuch
> (there's a vim-based thingumy, and there are other front ends too)

 yeah i decided to go with the web-based front-end, it seems sane and
like prayer-webmail-imap-client doesn't depend on php...

>> we may actually have to go stay in a hotel in hong kong (where they
>> have a 100 mbytes / sec internet connection) just so i can sync all
>> the email.
>
> If you point notmuch at that it'll say something like:
>
>    523,567 mails, that's not much mail...

 :)

> and you'll be able to do similar searchy things to what you probably got
> used to with google.

 goooood

> I tend to shunt my inbox into an archive directory so that I can use
> dumb imap on my phone and not need to fill the phone with 110k of mails,

 yehhh the whole reason i started using gmail was because i'd had HDDs
die, i had several gig of maildirs, not enough space: when i started
with SSDs the capacity was just far too small.  now it's up to sane
amounts.

> but I know I've got more mail than you're talking about, and searches
> return useful results in sub-second mostly.

 faantastic.  yeah i can't remember what the dependency was for the
indexing but i've seen it used before and it's pretty damn good.

> % find ./Maildir -type f | wc -l
> 559007
> % du -hs Maildir
> 12G	Maildir