[Arm-netbook] new development laptop needed, looking at dell xps 13 9350

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Dec 8 14:25:23 GMT 2016

On Thursday 8. December 2016 13.41.19 Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> How do you detect this at run time? Every program should write its own
> (buggy) test? No, it should use an existing test. Use libsystemd.

I don't want to get into an argument about systemd, but one way of detecting
systemd would to be for things to test for a file that always gets installed
as part of the systemd packages. This file could even have zero content and be
explicitly added by the package maintainers (if the systemd people kept
renaming everything), and nothing would ever need to link to anything. You
could call this magic file libsystemd.so if you wanted, and it could actually
be libsystemd.so if you really wanted. That would be a very Unix-like way of
dealing with this.

Naturally, someone could create that file manually and confuse software
testing for it, but then they could do many other crazy things to defeat the
packaging system, so it really wouldn't be a significant concern.

Paul