[Arm-netbook] Will EOMA68-A20 be sweatshop-free?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Aug 27 17:32:07 BST 2016

---

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Saturday 27. August 2016 14.41.32 Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
>>
>> Just like you sometimes tell that talking to FSF or Think Penguin got
>> you to understand issues better, even issues you already understood
>> for long but from maybe a different angle, I think talking to
>> Electronics Watch or some other people may help you understand not
>> only the labour reality but the work of people working to change that
>> reality and the potential markets you might reach and the constraints
>> that it would require. I read that you would have loved to know Open
>> Source Ecology before you did. Well, don't wait till the next
>> crowdfunding effort to know more worthwhile groups.
>
> I think that even some of the people who have *raised* issues have learned
> something new about those issues, too, perhaps realising that they didn't
> actually have the whole picture, either.

 there's a story about that - how a chinese factory manager was
extremely annoyed at the effects the well-meaning idiot journalists
had - explaining that the factories had to be moved to northern china
where prices are lower and journalists and gwailo foreigners don't get
granted visas - because prices being raised by westerners demands for
"fairer wages" pushed up the price of labour across the *entire*
guangdong area... and now foxconn and others are going fully-automated
thus putting people *out* of work.

 she also explained to this idiotic western journalist that the
standard of living has gone up by 100 to 1,000 times compared to 2-3
generations ago, where her grandparents for example lived in a corner
of a field to tend crops, they slept in the shed with the animals to
keep warm and they literally starved for 3 months during winter
because there wasn't any food available.

 by contrast having electricity, walls surrounding the roof that's
over your head and access to clean water is...

 yes i've read professor yunus's book, "Creating a World Without
Poverty".  i just re-read it 3 days ago.

> But many other observers will not agree, seeing it as a less-than-properly-
> informed incursion into something that they personally do know something
> about.

 how the Grameen Bank was set up and how totally ineffective the IMF's
"Programmes" are.... you should read that book.

> But just as Fairphone could have had a productive conversation with Luke,
> maybe Luke could have a productive conversation with Fairphone. At least then,
> such other concerns will at least have been openly acknowledged. Maybe he
> already has spoken to them about their core area of expertise:

 i have.. they didn't listen... the results we've seen are the
train-wrecks that are still ongoing.