[Arm-netbook] question on Sugar OS

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Aug 26 04:18:21 BST 2016

---

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Pete Link <plink at posteo.net> wrote:
> I'm new here, so I have a newbie question ;-)

 loovely - that means new answers :)

> The update on Sugar OS mentioned Fedora.  So does that mean that Sugar OS
> will be obtainable if I get the Fedora computer card?

 it's actually available by just downloading the sugar "spin" as they
call them, and adapting them a bit to run with the 3.4 kernel.... it's
not hard.  takes an hour or so.

> Or is the plan to have a separate Sugar OS card offered in the future?

 maaaybe.  have to see.  when i ran the fedora "spin" it really didn't
work too well - i didn't want to say anything, publicly, but also i
couldn't find out how to report bugs!  we'll see if debian or devuan
does any better, soon enough

> I have two grand-daughters, and it would be cool to have each with their own
> Sugar card that they could store their stuff on.  (I don't have any real
> experience with Sugar, but this would be a good opportunity to learn about
> it and use it.)

 honestly after evaluating both Sugar OS and gcompris, gcompris has
more programs.  they're a leeetle slow on this kind of hardware: i'd
also recommend the KDE 3.5 (ok Trinity Desktop) games and educational
software: they're great.  lilyana (my 7-year-old daughter) enjoys
playing hangman, mahjong with me.

 there's lots of options basically.