[Arm-netbook] Libreboot and EOMA68

Nick Hardiman nick at internetmachines.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 09:48:13 BST 2016

I would guess UEFI support is more about the data center market than about technical capability.

ARM want to get more chips into Data Centers and brought out specifications called SBSA (Server Base System Architecture) and SBBR (Server Base Boot Requirements), for suppliers to stick to. SBBR names a bunch of required things, including UEFI.

SBSA is meant to make large scale management of ARM-based hardware more uniform and less scary for DC purchasers. Standards compliance is reassuring for anyone who doesn’t fully understand what they are getting themselves into, and in the computer world nobody fully understands what they are getting themselves into. Take EOMA68, for example. That’s a great standard to comply to.

But who knows, I could be way off the mark here.

ARM, SBSA, UEFI, and ACPI
By Jonathan Corbet
February 5, 2014
https://lwn.net/Articles/584123/