[Arm-netbook] Libreboot and EOMA68

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Aug 22 22:55:18 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Xavi Drudis Ferran <xdrudis at tinet.cat> wrote:

> I asked the same in coreboot list years ago when they started to port
> coreboot to ARM. I hardly remember but the point might have been to
> enable UEFI (both for functionality and possibly peripheral
> initialisation),

 UEFI is extremely rare in the ARM world - the only SoC i know of that
implements it is the iMX6.

> or take other coreboot payloads,

 that makes sense.

> The goal of libreboot is distributing firmware for as many computers
> as possible that allows to use as much of them as possible with 100%
> free software.

 ... but if you don't *need* any firmware...

> There might be the idea to port SeaBIOS to ARM. I can't outright
> dismiss it, but I can't think right now of what advantages it would
> have.

 mmm... having a more "standard" VGA / login would be nice... but
normally you have that to change settings such as "which hard drive to
boot from". there aren't any hard drives... :)

 so, we'll see how it goes.