[Arm-netbook] Free distribution certification (was Re: eoma68-jz4775 x-ray pictures)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 15:03:29 BST 2016

On Friday 29. April 2016 15.21.12 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > Since the alternatives that FSF recommend and bless are something like
> > Trisquel or gNewSense, which are based on Debian (or Ubuntu?),
>
>  trisquel's based on ubuntu 8.04, and hasn't moved since.  gNewSense
> is debian, and they appear to have used debian, but went for a much
> more comprehensive "rebranding".  i'm interested in doing the minimum
> required amount of work here.

I think it's easy to go round in circles here when the FSF's own guidelines
can instruct us and help explain why these separately-branded distributions
exist. I hope the FSF doesn't mind me quoting from their document. ;-)

On branding and naming:

"We will not list a distribution whose name makes confusion with nonfree
distributions likely. For example, if Foobar Light is a free distribution and
Foobar is a nonfree distribution, we will not list Foobar Light."

http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html#name-
confusion

So, if Debian is "nonfree" (let us not get into why or how they might reach
that conclusion), then you won't get a Debian-branded certified distro.

----

On using non-free software:

"What would be unacceptable is for the documentation to give people
instructions for installing a nonfree program on the system, or mention
conveniences they might gain by doing so."

http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-
guidelines.html#documentation

So, again, the problem might be that since Debian documentation, such as the
Debian Wiki which bears an increasing amount of responsibility for documenting
the distribution, mentions how to install non-free software, this might count
against Debian itself being regarded as a certified distro. They do mention
this, though:

"For a borderline case, a clear and serious exhortation not to use the nonfree
program would move it to the acceptable side of the line."

I guess this would require editorial practices not currently undertaken plus
some discipline from people contributing to the documentation.

----

On providing non-free software:

"The system should have no repositories for nonfree software and no specific
recipes for installation of particular nonfree programs."

http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html#license-
rules

This is the big obstacle. I suppose Trisquel and gNewSense get around this by
hosting their own repositories and not hosting the non-free ones.

----

I can understand why the FSF wants to help users avoid the slippery slope of
doing what random people on the Internet suggest, enabling various
repositories for a quick fix when some proprietary service doesn't work, and
then seeing those people fill their systems with dubious and potentially
stability-damaging software, not to mention that it would be non-free and
could have negative effects on their freedoms and, through network effects, on
others' freedoms.

However, the tone of the guidance, although it isn't for end-users, isn't
exactly positive nor does it give the impression of encouraging choice. Of
course, words are not going to be wasted on saying that it is quite alright to
encourage people to install Free Software from third-party repositories, but
it's easy to come away with the idea that such a policy is restrictive.

What worries me the most is the burden that might be created. Although
licensing requirements have been refined over the years so that it might be
possible to avoid hosting everything yourself (thinking back to the whole
Mepis Linux case where people were being sent to Ubuntu to get the sources),
the provisioning required to host a complete distribution is not something to
be taken lightly, even if the tooling probably isn't that bad for people with
experience of it already.

The result might be that if anyone does try and pitch a certified distro, it
ends up being a small one that doesn't offer the breadth of something like
Debian because of the magnitude of the diversion from whatever goal the people
doing it originally had. In this case, how much effort should be diverted away
from getting the hardware and software done towards rebranding, repacking and
hosting something that is essentially Debian?

I really think that the different parties should just get together and develop
a reasonable understanding around these matters based on the substantial level
of agreement they probably already have.

Paul