[Arm-netbook] eoma68-jz4775 x-ray pictures

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Apr 25 14:34:15 BST 2016

---

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> Debian is available for mipsel.

 ... but debian isn't FSF-Endorseable, because it's made far too easy
to install non-free proprietary firmware, and the practice is
generally supported and accepted by the debian community, actively
mentioned on the website as being possible, and many many other things
that are completely and directly at odds with and in contravention of
everything that the FSF stands for.  technically and specifically: the
default debian archive keyring includes by default the GPG keyring for
the "nonfree" repository.

 that having been said, debian is a first step.  if debian works, then
anything else will as well.  if we made a special GPG archive keyring
package where "nonfree" was specifically excluded, then that would be
a reasonable first step towards making it possible for debian to be
FSF-Endorseable.

> If it weren't, I wouldn't be able to put it on
> the Ben NanoNote (jz4725) and there probably wouldn't be any cross-compilers
> in Debian for mipsel, either. I can't say much about the desktop stack here
> because the Ben doesn't have enough memory to run something like KDE. ;-)

 yehh but it's fuuuun, i love the nanonote.

> There's been a discussion on the FSFE discussion list about this, with someone
> advocating the POWER architecture for high-end products as an alternative to
> x86(-64). I think people are realising that they might need some other irons
> in the fire.

 great!  yes, there's a powerpc laptop team out there.

> http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-April/010912.html

 oo that's quite an interesting discussion.  if you get a chance to
mention again that there's a MIPS (jz4775 with 2gb RAM) CPU Card in
the pipeline, and that the whole exercise is just to be able to drop
in better CPU Cards later, that would help enormously.  also that i've
been speaking recently to Josh Gay, and he says they're really excited
about the whole EOMA68 libre laptop concept.