[Arm-netbook] laptop 15in pcb1 progress

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 13:22:54 BST 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 12:16 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>  so i'm using the T862A as a PCB development tool
> >
> > No. Nurse the oven as your tool.
>
>  remember, joe, you've done this a _lot_, so have much more confidence
> in your abilities,

No problem Luke - we all start somewhere and learn the hard way :)
So here is how i would do it. You don't have to follow any of it - its
just what I would do..

Rely on the oven as no.1 tool. T862A looks like a re-balling tool which
is there to apply localised heat on a heavily populated board which
might otherwise disintegrate in an oven.

The smallish PCB you have is great for oven - so long as buttons led and
other plastic heavy or heat sensitive items are applied last.

Apply solder paste sparingly. They can easily bridge if too much.
Use solder flux to flow in between the pins to prevent this as much as
possible.

If you make a mistake, have a bucket ready, re-heat in oven, at highest
temperature open oven and flick the board fast and slam to the side of
the bucket. Instant de-populated board to start again :)

> it's taken 2-3 weeks of about 1 to 2 hours a
> day to put down all the components... and there's only about 120 maybe
> 150 components.  that's *ridiculously* slow.

Exactly what I imagined might happen with a re-balling tool. :(