[Arm-netbook] Handheld Games Console

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Sep 28 11:37:34 BST 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Daniel Iglesias
<daniel.iglesias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there, sorry for not writing for so long. What would you recommend as
> the next step now? As I told Miguel privately, I was thinking of getting an
> STM32 evaluation board (they're really cheap, <15€ IIRC)

 i know, it's ridiculous!  i bought one from reichhelt.de because they
accept dutch iDEAL payment (no other reason!) and including shipping
it was like... $EUR 12 or something silly.  love it.

> and building the
> USB controller prototype. Once we have the STM32 reading all the values from
> the potentiometers, pushbuttons, etc. and reporting them over USB as a HID
> we would go ahead and design PCBs 2 and 3. How does this sound?

 great idea, i've done the same thing, bought an EVB,  i have to do
the software for the laptop_15in_pcb2 as well: that's going to be a
16x8 key-scan matrix and reading an I2C touchpanel, converting both to
USB-HID.

> Should we skip the eval board thing and go straight to designing the PCBs?

 weeeellll, think about that for a moment: if there's a mistake in the
design concept (STM32F072RBT6 isn't good enough for some reason) you
just threw away the time and the money spent designing, assembling and
then testing the PCBs.

 if you're _really_ confident then go for it!  i am merely... foolish
/ optimistic: i've designed and ordered the PCBs already (and have
discovered missing components already *sigh*....)

 btw miguel, daniel, one thing: you need to check if an FFC-6 can
provide enough power to PCB2.