[Arm-netbook] EOMA68 interface update proposal: -GbE, +USB3.1, +GPIO

Hrvoje Lasic lasich at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:28:50 BST 2015

Depend really on your target market. For any application that your product
need to be any kind of server ethernet is kind of better, more relaible
compared to wifi.

If your target audience is not that kind of application, or at least not in
majority I guess you got it right. Just question any kind of paradigm.

Another angle is that at one moment you have to stop developing and ship
product, even if not perfect. Again, you decide.

On Thursday, September 3, 2015, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net>
wrote:

> ok, soo...
>
> i've been following the updates to USB3 (10 gigabit speeds now with
> USB 3.1). in combination with:
>
> * the development of both the tablet and the laptop not having room
> for an ethernet port
> * the development of lower-cost SoCs not really having ethernet
> * the fact that the ethernet components cost around $2 when the SoCs
> themselves are around $2 to $4
>
> ... i'm coming to the conclusion that Ethernet should be removed, and
> the 9 lines used to
>
> * increase the USB3.0 allocation (4 wires) to USB 3.1 (8 wires)
> * this would leave 5 spare pins for GPIO.
> * at least two of those should be EINT-capable GPIOs
>
> this would make it possible to redesign the tablet PCB to a more
> "standard" one - removing the need for the I2C GPIO chip for example.
>
> if there are any products that need ethernet, it can be done as a USB2
> or USB3 compliant external IC.
>
> the IC3128 PCB can be reduced down to around a $12 BOM, the EOMA68-A20
> PCB can be reduced by a further $2.50.
>
> any thoughts or objections, much appreciated the input.
>
> l.

Hrvoje Lasić
Vulpes d.o.o.
Gračanska 120a