[Arm-netbook] Jetson TX1 Module

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Nov 13 20:54:09 GMT 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Christopher Havel
<laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> A pity it's got to be that low -- Atom Z2460 has a TDP of 4w... it's an SoC
> Atom from what I understand -- meaning no chipset, just add RAM, VReg, and a
> few interface bits.

 yep.  intel's been told... but they keep taking the advantage of the
geometry shrinks to increase speed, *not* reduce power.

 so they're deliberately pissing in their own back yard, basically.

> But there's no way to keep the required external components less than a
> watt, I'm sure.

 32 bit 800mhz DDR3 (1.5v) RAM uses only around.... 300mA (0.3A), so
it's doable.

> Worth noting, even VIA can't keep up with that. Closest is an Eden ULV
> 1.0GHz Esther core... it gets 3.5w TDP but that's before the chipset and
> everything else...

 yyep... and the eden is only in 45nm and isn't a very good design...
*and* x86 has a performance/watt penalty inherent in its design, due
to the CISC instruction set.... long story, i've written about this
before.

> Oh well :(
>
> Just a thought -- I forget -- are EOMA68 cards permitted to protrude from
> the slot any, the way PCMCIA/Cardbus cards almost always did?

 of course.

> If so, it
> *may* be possible to wire up a small ventilation system -- fan with a bit of
> ducting is what I'm picturing, there's no room for a real heatsink in there,
> after all. But every little bit helps... ;)

 graphite paper also helps.