[Arm-netbook] FSF-Endorseable Hardware companies

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Mar 19 22:31:21 GMT 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 19. March 2015 22.42.32 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>>  well, i believed that patents would do the job exactly as actually
>> turns out that Certification Marks (the twin brother of Trade Marks)
>> actually does.
>>
>>  so what i intend to do hasn't changed, but people's *understanding*
>> has changed.
>
> Well, the means of doing things may also have changed, too. ;-)

 :)

>> > Since then, I think your policies (and associates)
>>
>>  my *former* associates turned out be a a bunch of short-sighted
>> financially-motivated individuals who would do whatever it takes to
>> make profits first, disregarding all and any principles and goals
>> required in order to achieve those profits.
>
> Sorry, I meant to indicate that they were your associates at the time, not
> your current associates.

 nono, understood.

> Sure, I believe this. I was just puzzled about anyone using patents to achieve
> this goal, though,

 yehh, we learn.  random drunken walk, bouncing off the fence a la
brownian motion.  the trick is to open the gate at juuust the right
time, and even a drunkard can achieve great things :)

> OK. I'll update the page and clarify the situation. In fact, given the level
> of interest in this initiative, I think it's probably a good idea to have a
> separate page about such topics, anyway, and that might allow for a longer
> explanation about what you had in mind.

 appreciated.  it's pretty unique.  it's even different from the
arduino situation (which i understand isn't going so well - the
contract manufacturer is attempting to claim "arduino" as theirs....
whoops...)

> Well, patents are effectively monopolies, but unlike things like copyrights
> and trademarks they violate various principles that people regard as being
> central to notions of justice and fairness. For example, you can unknowingly
> [snip...]

 no, i get all that now.

> Your perspective on patents is probably different from mine,

 you might be surprised :)  i don't like them either: and i am
*really* not a fan of software patents.  i just couldn't think of any
other tool to use to protect people from harm.... and then someone
said "well you should use trademarks for that" and i went, "ohhhh...."
:)

> I have to admit that I didn't follow the forums in question

 i thought it was a good idea... so did they.... misunderstandings all
round.... it wasn't fun.  you didn't miss anything, other than it
taught me the lesson to remain 100% in control of the technical
details and implementations until it reaches critical mass.  after
that's achieved i really do have to move on to the next project [60%
efficient combustion engines, Hybrid E.V.s and alternative power
sources].  but... first things first.