[Arm-netbook] 15.6in laptop progress

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jul 23 20:44:29 BST 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Christopher Havel
<laserhawk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Luke -- how about having hinges with a little bit of a spring-click
> mechanism?

 that's where the machined metal would be needed.  the screen weighs
450g, and its depth is around 21cm.  1/2 way point is 10cm, so we're
looking at .45*10/10 = .45 Nm of torque.... on an 8mm diameter hinge,
which means average .45/.02 = 22N of force exerted.

> That way you wouldn't have to put anything in the lid itself.
> I've seen hinges like that (for doors tho) at the hardware store.

 where would one obtain custom-made 8mm diameter spring-click hinges
without requiring paying machining fees or to place an order with a
MOQ beyond realistic levels?

 over the past 4 years we've been down this road before several times,
and i've decided i'm not going to waste time and effort on it.

 so i've decided i'm taking the path of least resistance, knowing that
once that path has been successful any changes may be accommodated
*afterwards*, when there is finance available from steady sustainable
income.