[Arm-netbook] early alpha production run of libre laptop PCBs, microdesktops and CPU Cards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Dec 16 19:19:50 GMT 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:
>>  oh great - yeah the STM32F072 is like a grown-up version of the
>> arduino.  none of this bullshit installing 160mb of java runtime, a
>> toy-for-an-IDE that does nothing more than wrap sdcc and avr-utils
>> even to the point of modifying simple Makefiles for you.  i bought an
>> OSMC back in 2001, it had the same PICs as the arduino, and *nobody*
>> arsed about with 250mb of crap to wrap 5mb worth of libraries and
>> command-line compiler tools!
>>
>>  rant over.... :)
>
> Pretty much exactly why I helped make sure that the java stuff is
> optional on Debian -- see the 'arduino-core' and 'arduino-mk' packages:

 ah!  yes, i remember you mentioning that to me a couple years back, i
vaguely remembered, but now you mention it i had installed....

$ dpkg -l | grep arduino
ii  arduino-core                           2:1.0.5+dfsg2-4
ii  arduino-mk                             1.3.4-1

... those exact same packages, to do the SPI-testing with an adafruit
hx8357d LCD and an arduino uno, a few weeks back.  yaay, so the
maintainers listened to your advice, split out the core stuff?  which
is absolutely awesome.

so, thank you phil :)

 btw just for the record (for anyone else reading this in the
archives, later), these are the other packages i have installed, to
program arduinos *without* the crap 200mb of java-based runtime and
IDE:

ii  avr-libc                               1:1.8.0+Atmel3.4.4-1
ii  avrdude                                6.1-2
ii  binutils-avr                           2.24+Atmel3.4.4-1
ii  gcc-avr                                1:4.8.1+Atmel3.4.4-2

this is enough to be able to simply grab Makefiles online (there's
lots of examples out there, usually you can search "debian arduino uno
makefile" [1]) and e.g. entire adafruit libraries and example programs
and get them up-and-running very very quickly and just type "make" and
then "make upload".

l.

[1] http://www.itopen.it/arduino-1-0-development-with-a-makefile/ - if
following those instructions replace the first "apt-get install
arduino" with phil's recommended packages "apt-get install
arduino-core arduino-mk".