[Arm-netbook] Vero Apparatus: Another Arm Laptop Project

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Aug 13 13:18:16 BST 2015

On Thursday 13. August 2015 12.57.27 Wookey wrote:
> +++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2015-08-12 22:44 +0100]:
> > great - they might be interested to start with the laptop casework i
> > designed, instead of trying to retro-fit something.
>
> I sit in an office with people working on this. The plan was to
> retrofit, precisely to avoid the hassle for doing the mech-eng work,
> which we all know is hard. And we all like our lenovo boxes.

As long as they don't have that stupid touchpad with the buttons underneath
it. ;-)

> I did show someone your case, but quite a lot of people have been
> stockpiling x220 cases for a while now, so this probably won't change
> for the 1st iteration.

It's like they're doing the NeoX220 project. :-) (If you don't get the
reference, the Neo900 project re-uses the cases from N900 smartphones,
effectively giving the N900 an upgrade.)

> We are actually stalled on availability of the AMD part so nothing
> much has moved for 6 months. We may have to move to another part.

What is the situation with AMD and the Opteron-A stuff, anyway? It sounded
like a promising product with the other 64-bit (or server) ARM products
vanishing from the market. Is it another case of AMD not delivering?

> There should be a 64-bit arm laptop prototype at debconf, which will
> also be interesting. No-idea if that will actualy see the light of
> day, or when...

Is there any reason why they didn't choose to go with EOMA-68 or a related
modular hardware concept? Also, was the focus on ARM because that's the area
of most expertise amongst those involved? Sorry if you end up having to ask
those other people our questions!

Paul