[Arm-netbook] mendel90 3d printer arrived

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 13:17:29 BST 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 13:27 +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-09-01 at 12:12 +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >> also the mendel 90 kit arrived last week, i am about 20% through a
> >> build, it is... challenging shall we say: around 200 nuts/bolts/screws
> >> which i really wasn't expecting!  i'll likely be done by end of this
> >> week and can start experimenting.
> >

> > If you do 3D modelling in scripted parametric openscad,
> > I'm in with whatever is doable to help.
>
>  i'm using pyopenscad, it auto-generates openscad files based on
> python classes: it is as weeird as the openscad language :)
>
> > Maths, formulas, etc, and anything that can be
> > done up xmaxima + surfaces that can be done in K3DSurf
> > surface generator, doing test prints etc.
>
>  okay!  cool, i'd not heard of k3dsurf.  awesome.
>
>  ta joe.

pyopenscad i believe is used to script up complex functions
to generate objects surfaces because openscad is relatively simple
language and doesn't have the giant features of python.
Openscad is evolving - the latest version does tapered screw spirals. I
made a tapered screw chuck type thing that is 1 inch and
so strong it can take a spanner to tighten it and thread don't break.
Unlike nylon screws. And this thing is done in PLA :( !

Anyway lots of designs released in openscad at thingiverse.
Search for parametric designs - reduce chance of re-inventing wheel.