[Arm-netbook] Gigabit NIC Speeds

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Thu May 29 23:18:53 BST 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Michael Howard
<mike at dewberryfields.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Not specifically Netbook, just a general question for opinions;
>
> What is the bottleneck on arm devices when it comes to network speed?
>
> I have a number of devices and they are all woefully slow. In order of
> poorness :) a few Dreamplugs (1/10th the speed of desktop) , a Cubietruck
> (1/5th the speed of desktop), a mirabox (haven't actuially timed it) et al.
>
> Obviously there are many factors that can afect timings (depending on the
> test) but even using 3rd party Gigabit USB Nics the results do not improve.
> I've used netcat and scp (ouch) to name two methods, what would be a good
> leveller to eliminate outside factors?

scp is not a good test as it has to do crypto as well. netcat or ttcp
or similar should be ok. Last time I did some tests the iMX6 could do
400Mb (see this article http://boundarydevices.com/i-mx6-ethernet/ )
which was the fastest device I had. I have a few new ones to try but
not that optimistic. These low end boards are not designed for fast IO
(other than display refresh perhaps). USB2 will probably be slower
than directly connected ethernet, USB3 might be better (have one of
those to test too).

Justin