[Arm-netbook] micro desktop

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:52:26 BST 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net
> wrote:

>  ok, so tell me - i take it you have time on your hands: what can you
> do for this project that's worth the cost of one of these
> micro-desktop boards and a CPU Card?

I'll be honest: I have no idea. I did put up that R-2R ladder thing, but
that's about the extent of what I can do with electronics right now. I'm a
real noob there. Programming for me is limited to QuickBASIC (specifically
MS QuickBASIC PDS 7.1 or /very/ similar). I've tried three times to learn
C++ and it went rather poorly (I'm being kind) all three times. Needless to
say, that's basically useless as well unless you want to run FreeDOS on
these cards for something (I don't think so!). I could probably port over
to QB64 if I wanted to muck with that, but it'd be a real PITA for not much
gain.

I'm something of an artist, but I'm much better with pencil/pen and paper
than with computer graphics so I probably can't even do advertising stuff.
Right now I don't even have computer graphics capability -- a couple months
ago I moved to Linux full time, and I need to install WINE to get my
software (CorelDRAW X3, a gift from my father) to run in Puppy (my distro
of choice) -- and I have not installed WINE yet. (Once I do, making
CorelDRAW actually work will take some finagling.) I took a drafting course
in high school (ten years ago) and somewhere I have a book (if I haven't
gotten rid of it) on drafting, but I'm allergic to using multiple pencils
(meaning all lines are the same width) and I have a hard time with rulers
(they move on me, lol!). I'm also not that hot at thinking in 3D... I'm
positively pathetic at shading (when I'm not doing drafting) and I simply
cannot wrap my head around eg 3D modeling (I tried Sketchup... Sketchup and
I sort of came to a mutual understanding that things were not going to work
out, and we parted ways). I can do orthos, and I can usually avoid
designing something that's too Escher-esque to work in Euclidean space, but
I do have my moments. Also I'm totally worthless drawing organic figures.
Flowers and people are very hard for me to draw for some reason...

*phew* that ended up being a little longer than I thought it would.
Hopefully there's something in there that's useful.