[Arm-netbook] EOMA, Improv etc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat May 24 15:07:49 BST 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Boris Barbour <barbour at biologie.ens.fr> wrote:

> On 24/05/14 09:06, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>>   USB, VGA, SD/MMC, HDMI, 10/100 Ethernet, 1Gb RAM, 4Gb NAND, Dual-Core
>> A20, a few pins GPIO and an I2C interface.  would that do for a start?
>

> Mirco-pc indeed :-) Is there a(n optional) disk in this system? You
> mentioned SATA (vs USB 3) in an earlier email.

 yes.  i want to keep this very basic and achievable, and also
realistically stand a chance of selecting alternative SoCs in the
future.  the future's going SATA-less (tablet
s,tablets,tablets,tablets,tablets) and with USB3 being 5gbit/sec i
don't see that as a problem.

 putting down a USB-to-SATA IC would approximately double the
components, and increase the risk.  much better all round if people
just add their own USB-to-SATA dongle.

> I suspect that more memory
> would be useful. But, whatever: the project will have to walk before it can
> run.

 ... exactly.  i already asked: it's $8,000 for a board-level redesign
to add 2Gbyte RAM and 10/100/1000 Ethernet.