[Arm-netbook] Regarding Improv, EOMA68, Free Software and Open Hardware.

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 11:41:45 BST 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 03:39 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:58 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> > There is also a need to CPU + dedicted customized OS that turns
> > the tablet into a graphics computer (e.g. running X window)
> > and taking compressed commands from the USB directly.
>
>  weelll... the first easily-achievable way to do that is to use any
> SoC with USB-OTG.  the other way is using a DisplayLink IC.  but, both
> ways _do_ need some amounts of RAM otherwise you severely saturate the
> USB bus and/or overload the main processor.  DisplayLink's first IC
> does very basic 2D primitives (line, rectangle, image) which is a
> half-way compromise.  the second (which is USB3) i don't know exactly
> what they do.
>
>  ... yes been thinking quite a lot how to do this, joe :)

OK - stretch to next level:

With storage being cheap ($4 for 16GB flash)
its reasonable to start a project to let the users of
this type of 'terminal' to upload their
graphics, command sets and limited animations
and it would get compressed and incorporated
into the 16GB 'distro' (with emphasis on reuse of existing
stuff). The user plugs it into
the relevant hardware, the hardware sends 32 bit
identifier through serial port or USB
to locate its command set, and then
any further signals are known to the 'terminal'
which then does the grunt work to update the
terminal with graphics. Even a simple multimeter
with embedded CPU could then do a lot of magical
functions knowing a serial port can be used to send
the presentation of voltage, current, etc. this 'terminal'
which will know how to render the graphical screen and make it
very interesting. An open source tool by the techies
for the techies working with embedded stuff at the coal face
to get projects out to the market asap without trying to source
custom LCD and bits needed to make it work correctly.

If I could buy a terminal like that, I'd buy 10 terminals today,
at cost of $50 each and do my own graphics from re-usable stuff that
others have done and/or do my own and upload for incorporation
into the 16gb distro.

I'd never have to worry about adding full colour LCDs for all my
gadgets again! As an EE, such a terminal would be more valuable to me
than any other gadget right now.

Speech is also important - all my gadgets now talk to me
if they detect a problem. Speeds up debugging by a factor
of a million. The severity level and types of messages
are selectable to avoid being bombarded with geek speaking
screaming boards.