[Arm-netbook] Regarding Improv, EOMA68, Free Software and Open Hardware.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jun 27 19:32:37 BST 2014

,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 09:26 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > Luke: I got the latest board costed up and its <$50
>> > per EOMA with 2GB (not going split resources
>> > at this stage to make the 1GB).
>>
>>  samples testing.  we cannot go to production levels without sample
>> testing, 5pcs.
>
> It costs factories between USD1000 to USD2000 to try to organise
> something like this. I normally place order for between 10 and 20 pieces
> to meet these expenses.
>
> I check with them for best quantity.

 that gives between 10 to 20 people to get units to... which may or
may not work.  i want roughly a 30:70% mix of 1gbyte and 2gbyte of
samples - it's just in case the 2gbyte doesn't work.

>> > But it comes with a lead balloon MOQ of 2000 for
>> > the PCMCIA case because they are only made in Taiwan.
>>
>>  litkconn is not taiwanese.  the factory's in guangdong.
>
> Thank you, I run that past them again.

the connector is from litkconn, it's on the BOM, so why did they go to
the trouble of finding a manufacturer with whom we have absolutely no
relationship??  i mean, it's good to know that there are still
companies out there not just litkconn, but the chances are that they
would order completely and utterly the wrong PCMCIA connector at
totally the wrong height.

been through this already with litkconn, selected the right part, even
designed the PCB and chose the PCB thickness to be *precisely* inside
the litkconn housing.

 so litkconn already know exactly which part - it's their part number
68F.  price for case, plastic and connector should be around $1.50.
that's plastic with the middle cut out.  if we get over 2k orders we
can get the punch made with them for $6k to make the proper holes.