[Arm-netbook] Olimex and Inclusion of GPL Violations? Was: (Re: Regarding Improv, EOMA68, Free Software and Open Hardware.)

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri Jun 27 09:26:08 BST 2014

fre 2014-06-27 klockan 09:16 +0100 skrev Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
> <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
>
> > so what, the kernel(s) or the software stack or drivers,firmware or etc
> > have GPL violated code in them?
>
>  the bootloader.

That's a very thin case. The bulk of all the bootloader sources are
published. Sure, AW is not so good in publishing current sources, but
there is not really any more bootloader sources for A20 that we have
interest in at this stage. (thanks to you btw for getting confirmation
on GPL status of the A20 SDK version).

If you had said NAND drivers then I maybe might agree with you as they
holding back later NAND driver sources may impact interoperability with
free software, but not on the bootloader. We are way past that stage.

Regards
Henrik