[Arm-netbook] eoma and qimod

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jun 24 20:30:12 BST 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 14:56 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>> > ? I'm not sure what that means.
>>
>>  there are parts inside.  it is very easy to make a case where the
>> parts don't bloody well fit.
>>
>>  for example the battery compartment is the wrong size. the hole for
>> the camera is in the wrong place.  the connector for the touchscreen
>> can't fit because there's bloody well bits of plastic in the way.
>>
>>  is that clear now?
>
> Nope. Verbosity makes things unclear.
>
> If things don't fit, I change parameter and print again.
> Its parametric. Two three iterations, and job is done!

 yes... but you have access to a 3D printer on a fast cycle.  the
internal 3D layout of all components *had* to be done as CAD/CAM
because we did *not* have access to a 3D printer on a low-cost fast
iterative cycle.

>> > The easiest option for me then is to take one of a numerous
>> > number of tablets I got, strip it down and do an openscad parametric
>> > design and release it fully GPL'd after making sure it can be 3D
>> > printed.
>>
>>  great idea.  can you use pyopenscad rather than direct openscad?
>
> Probably.

 it's pretty obvious, object-orientated and if you can handle openscad
directly i think you can handle pyopenscad.  it actually outputs
openscad files so that way you can see what is going on iteratively.

>> end result is that you can do very sparse spec'ing of a complex 3D
>> shape and it will generate a smooth 3D sheet that fits exactly through
>> those points.
>

> Snap! Funny thing I needed exactly something like that for various
> projects.

  the only (current) limitation is that the "offset" for creating the
3D shape is a *fixed* vector.  by that i mean that rather than specify
the "thickness"and do some normalised vector calculations at every
single damn point created, what i did was *copy* the surface that was
created, shift every single point by the fixed vector then create
edges around the sides to join the two surfaces up.

 the down-side of that approach is that if there is extreme curvature
in the surface being created the thickness will end up varying or
possibly even be zero (or overlap) creating an invalid shape.

 at some point i will revisit the code and work out how to create the
best "rangle" between each of the 3 to 4 vectors coming in to a single
point.  it's harder than it sounds because sometimes they could
overlap.