[Arm-netbook] [status] eoma68-ic1t

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jun 12 08:16:30 BST 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an interesting idea, but some more details are needed on the
> SoC. The reason for this is that the IC3118 is missing important
> features like USB OTG, Nand, HDMI/DVI, and Image Decoder.

 it's entirely software-based: that's what it is: it's a hybrid of a
GPU, VPU and CPU.  there are actually two separate threaded parallel
engines with hard-macro-configurable choices on the number of threads
in each engine.

 they also had to cut it down dramatically to get it into the
available space for a 55nm die with only 210 QFP pins.  so it was more
a matter of "can we fit this hard macro for a NAND controller in?  no,
so it's out".  they do however have two MMC interfaces, one is SD 2.0
eMMC compliant and 8-bit which is great.

so it is basically suited to being a high-speed embedded
micro-controller, and as a low-end android option.

> ( There is
> also mention that this chip can only decode 480p via software ).

 ah thank you for catching that.

> There
> is another chip that features all of this and more, but I do not see
> as much details and that is the IC3228.

 yes - the IC3118 is a precursor which with enough sales allows them
to jump-start the next chip.

> Also as a note, I do note that both chips use the same cores ( A
> custom RISC core with 150 instructions )

as i understand it, it's more than that (ok if you add the VPU
extensions and GPU extensions)