[Arm-netbook] EOMA - Open Specification?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 3 14:02:47 BST 2014

On Sunday, May 25, 2014 13:20:34 Troy Benjegerdes wrote:cation,
> derived from http://q3u.be/patent/q3ube/ ) run the Plasma Active software?
>
> Can this software be adapted to have a functional interface when using an
> HDMI tv as the display?

Yes.

> Or does it require a touchscreen?

No.

Plasma Active is currently layered thusly:

* base Linux OS; this can be most anything that meets a fairly small # of
requirements; we've focused most recently on MerOS, but have been successful
with SUSE, Debian and [K]Ubuntu as well. This part is device generic and one
reason we focused on MerOS is that it is very well suited to small hardware.
(Jolla uses it in their Sailfish phone ...)

* Plasma framework (which pulls in select parts of KDE libraries and Qt); as
with the base OS this is also generic. It provides an application environment,
components and means to compose them into full products.

* The device shell: this part is device specific.

In the Plasma 4.x line, each device needs its own shell to be written using
the Plasma framework. They tend to be quite similar, however, and are the
lesser amount of work by far. It took ~2 weeks to have a phone UI POC, one 6
month dev cycle to have a shipping netbook UI and ~9 months to develop the
tablet UI. None of those projects had more than a handful of people on them.

Plasma Desktop is also built on this same infrastructure, though is a bigger
project on its own.

In the next version based on Qt 5, the need for a separate shell goes away.
The shell has been genericized and merged into the Plasma framework itself.
All one provides is a QML package with the device-specific customizations.
What's *very* cool is that due to this design improvement, the desktop shell
UI can be changed *at runtime*, so plugging a tablet into a TV could have it
shift to a media center UI (e.g. http://www.sinny.in/pmc1.3beta) replacing the
tablet UI entirely. when uplugged it could revert to tablet. (ditto for any
device form factor combinations...) Canonical refers to this as "device
convergence" and is something we first showed as a real possibility 4-5 years
ago when we shipped the netbook UX alongside the desktop one.

All of this (both 4.x and 5.x) work with keyboard/mouse, touch or a
combination of the two.