[Arm-netbook] HummingBoard becomes partially what eoma would've been

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:09:56 BST 2014

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > They announced the HummingBoard recently. Its specialty is that the
> > outer interface is rpi-compatible, but the cpu and ram can be replaced.
> >
> > So while the interface is not open I believe, that's getting closer to
> > what eoma would have been. Thought to let you know.
>
>  they're not, lauri - thanks for the heads up though.  the system i
> designed is for mass-volume purposes, for where end-users may place
> the CPU Card in their pockets (without anti-static bags or other
> physical precautions).  the hummingbird design is for engineers who
> have experience with physical protection of devices, take care of
> anti-static precautions and so on.
>
>  so it is very different.

Indeed; The design is based on  a iMX6 specfic SoM, So the HB and the
Cubox-I are build around one specific type of CPU's/SoC. The OEMA SoM is
CPU/SoC independent. Hence the limited set of interfaces available on a
EOMA card.

Building a RPi compatible 'baseboard' that has a EOMA-68 interface is no
problem, IMHO. Might even be a good idea in order to ride the 'RPi' wave.

The SolidRun "Micro-SoM" does show that a EOMA-CF with and iMX6 is possible.
http://download.solid-run.com/pub/solidrun/SR-uSOM-mx6/rev-1.2_1.3/

The SolidRun "Micro-SoM" = 30x47mm
A CF = 43×36

The SolidRun "Micro-SoM" exposes a lot of interfaces which are not needed
on a EOMA-CF.

P.S. The Sata spec on the EOMA-CF should be booted also right?