[Arm-netbook] Debian boots in 0.87 seconds

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Dec 2 19:54:51 GMT 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-12-02 at 16:19 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:37 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Debian boots in 0.87 seconds:
>>
>>  ... not quite.  they say it boots to a busybox shell in 0.87 seconds,
>
> Good enough to run a program that puts up a background?

 yeah indeed.   if you only have one program to run then it's
fantastic to have it starting up in like one or two seconds.  i
remember compiling up webkit for a very special ARM9 processor (with
access to1666mhz DDR3 RAM!!) and that was starting up in seconds: i
just never got round to optimising the OS [it was a research
project....]

>>  so it's a balancing act that has already moved outside of the
>> mainstream debian (or other OS) infrastructure and purpose, that then
>> needs maintaining.
>
> What about an open sourced script that can do this feat?

 there was an article a while back published by.. ahh who was it...
montavista or redhat... it was 6 or 7 years ago.... there is quite a
lot that needs to be done.

>>  all of which takes time, hence why i would (personally) like to see
>> some up-front payment before committing time to such an idea.
>
> Name a figure.

me? GBP 400 a day, minimum 5 days to get something reasonably quick
(low-hanging fruit so to speak), going beyond the easiest stuff i'd be
happy to continue for up to 3-4 weeks to tackle some of the
harder/more-complex stuff.