[Arm-netbook] discussion of operating systems on cpu cards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Aug 28 12:57:31 BST 2014

after manuel asked if it was ok to have a specific CPU Card only
support one OS, i had a bit of a think about that, and wanted to run
an idea by everyone.

the discussion is basically "should all CPU Cards work with all base
units with all OSes?" meaning that we have a *three-way* (3D) matrix
of options:

a) CPU Cards
b) base units
c) OSes

previously we had discussed the idea of OSes being able to
auto-download (in some fashion) such that CPU Cards could adapt to the
base unit.

i have an alternative idea which i think may turn out to be more
workable... at least slightly simpler.

the idea is quite simple:

* tie the OS to the CPU Card
* have the OS adapt (as best as possible) to the base unit *without*
needing OS updates (as best as practical)

the implications are that, for example (manuel?) the Gaming OS should
adapt so that if the CPU Card is plugged into a laptop base, it should
go "oh, i am in a laptop base, i have no touch screen but that's ok i
have a mouse, and oh look i have a joystick rather than a set of
analog track-pads".

given that most games have some form of in-game configuration options
for keys/mouse/joystick etc. would this be workable at all?