[Arm-netbook] Laptop idea

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Aug 11 11:34:48 BST 2014

+++ Vincent B. [2014-08-10 21:50 +0200]:
> Hi,
>
> What about start from a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop,
>
> I would be very interested because I like Thinkpads, but I'd like a system that
> consume much less power, and this just doesn't exist on the market yet.

You are by no means the first person to think of this. Hardware people
in Cambridge are looking at actually doing this (with an arm64 chip
such as AMD's). The usual problem is finding enough time and money,
but there are a good number of developers out there who want a
half-decent arm laptop. Obviously arm64+32G RAM+offchip video would be
aiming quite a lot higher (and more expensive) than the EOMA concept
(32bit arm, 2G RAM, one nice low-power SOC). Both have their place -
the former may not turn out to be particularly low-power...

Wookey
http://wookware.org/