[Arm-netbook] eoma68-a20 ethernet testing

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 09:33:23 BST 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 23:16 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Sorry Luke, but where do the LVDS signals come from to drive this LCD?
> >
> >  from the RGB-ttl-to-LVDS converter IC you previously mentioned.  in
> > the case of the flying squirrel it's using a TI SN75LVDS83b
> >
> >> Can A20 LVDS signals be routed to the LCD or GPIO pins through software?
> >
> >  yes but if you do so it's non-EOMA68-compliant.  so please try not to
> > encourage people too much.
> >
> >> Does that not mean some kind of MEB variant with FPC connector
> >> needs to be rushed to be made to accommodate?
> >
> >  ok because of the significant variations in LCDs and their backlight
> > drivers i'd recommend a daughterboard approach
> >
> > --
> > best get on with it a daughterboard then!
> > May be two types - one LVDS, other is RGB patch panel to FCP connector(s).
>
>  that'd be magic.  but, remember, even with that approach, it's still
> a bugger.  what i'd suggest is: pick say 3 panels, say... one a
> 1024x600 7in, one an 800x480, and another say... an 11in 1366x768 or
> something random like that, and knock out some circuits specifically
> targetted at those 3.
>
>  i know from experience looking at this that the panels are _so_
> spectacularly different that you just don't have a hope in hell of
> making a "generic driver" board.  even the FPCs pinouts of
> near-identical-looking products from the *same* company are different!
>  best to just... accept that, pick 2 or possibly 3 panels and say
> "these are tested. like it"
>
>  *shrugs* :)

One neat trick is to build an FPC footprint 80 ways long.
Then you can solder any FPC to it. The two retention pads at either end
is roughly in same position for most brands. They just move apart as the
connector gets big. So a big wide pad will accommodate any size of FPC!
Then bring out each pin of FPC to a pad so you can wire the FPC
any way you like to daughterboard and 44 pin connector.
One customizable daughterboard takes care of all 0.5mm FPC.
What we need next is a stock pile of LCD datasheets. panelook.com is
being ridiculous with their business model for access to LCD datasheets.
And LCD makers just as ridiculous in not parting with information
more readily for best currently in production model datasheets.
some .ru sites seem to stock pile datasheets - but can't
remember any now unless someone knows.

> > Anyone got datasheet on KR070PB2S 7" display?
> > It appears to be scrubbed from internet surgically clean!
> > Reason is this price I guess:
> > http://www.bipanda.com/taobao/view/id/17606702073
>
>  yeah there's occasionally some really odd things going on - one thing
> to consider is: has the product reached end-of-life, and the prices
> are that low because they're being dumped??  another is: was this a
> start-up and was there any pressure from the major cartels to get them
> to quit?  or, was it a company that compromised on quality and
> everyone found out but you?
>
>  try this one instead: TM070RDH01 - not for any reason other than it
> appeared on another site i saw as being a "top searched item".  they
> could have been lying of course :)
>
>  although the site's not been around very long it's grown *very* fast,
> and i'm kinda formulating the rule-of-thumb "if it ain't on
> panelook.com don't bother with it *at* all".

The KR070PB2S was in the Ainol 7" tablet - I bought the tablet because
it were one of the earliest models to run linux.
The KR070PB2S on sale everywhere - a datasheet would be very handy.
Then I can order may be stock pile 10 pieces for quick prototyping at
that sort of price - well worth it. But without datasheet, its
pointless.