[Arm-netbook] eoma68-a20 ethernet testing

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 13:29:31 BST 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 12:37 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 20:20 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> >> right.  we really need to know how many other sample units have
> >> working ethernet.  who else has a MEB and a CPU Card that is in a
> >> position to try this out?
> >
> > If you can upload uSD image somewhere, I got 2 EOMAs to try out.
>
>  i'm loath to follow the policy of uploading massive 4gbyte+ files
> everywhere: i think it's incredibly wasteful of resources

zonk! That is so yesterday.
Where are you? If in UK, BT infinity 2 broadband is 70Mbit download
and 20 Mbit upload or thereabouts - 30 quid a month.
godaddy servers cost very little and have unlimited feature.
In nautilus (ubuntu) I got connections set up as book marks
and I just drag and drop. Never even crosses my mind its
gigabytes that got transferred :)

> , so i'm not
> going to do it.  apart from anything it takes 2 days to upload,

Somewhere between half hour to 1 hour for me.
If you want, I'll send a couple of 16 gb uSD cards. mail
them to me each day in first class post with the day's uploads,
and I get it uploaded as soon as I get them.
I send you more cards after I collect a few until this
thing is done.

>  and
> overloads my server which is split across multiple Xen instances so
> the available space is only around 5gb free on the virtual drive that
> isn't being used for customers.

ebay - buy for 80 quid optiplex 755 dual core 3GHz.
Tons of them there - fit 3TB hd. I bought half a dozen and still spend
under $1000 including disks.
Again, to save time, I can do the purchasing, upgrade and send these to
you at cost, so long as someone picks up the tag, its no big deal.

>  one of the things i'm endeavouring to encourage people to do is to
> create a debian-installer initrd [i started on one].  there aren't
> enough of these out there, and they're only around 5mbyte in size.

Will try whatever you suggest - I'm hoping to get out clear
documentation and photos etc going to avoid choke
points with trying to get any kind of software going.