[Arm-netbook] My little idea...

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 04:17:47 BST 2013

Here's the image --> http://i.imgur.com/EeIByb5.jpg

That's a scan of Ye Olde-Fashioned Hand Drawn Electronic Schematics.
It's a pretty minimal setup, TBH, one USB port for a powered (or not)
hub, a simple (if a little clumsy) Mims-inspired momentary-switch power
on-off setup, and R-2R ladder DACs (and some transistor based
level-shifter buffers) to a VGA port. Ethernet port is a bit weird --
it's really a Gigabit+POE connector where I've tied the POE bits to
ground and used only half the transformer. (The GPIO ports to Ethernet
LEDs are strictly optional...) I'd LOVE the part numbers for your
cheaper parts -- the PCMCIA card slot I found was over $6 and the
Ethernet jack was IIRC like $14.50 (geez louise!!).

You could actually build this on perfboard (like the crap at Radio
Shack). You'd need to have custom dongles for the card slot and SATA
port, and the USB port would be on a header -- but that's not hard. Use
a pair 80wire IDE cables from a (slightly) older computer, cut them up
to make a pair of 68wire cables, tie every other wire to ground on both
sides... use the leftovers for the SATA connector in the same way. It
would probably work OK-ish as long as the video resolution didn't go too
high...