[Arm-netbook] Chinese SoC vendor striving for world domination? Show your GPL loyalty page or get out of business!

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 22:05:37 BST 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM, martin brook
<martin.brook100 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Not just OEM's Ken, Tesco in the UK have a rockchip based tablet out now
> (the Hudl) and so far I've had no response from them when asking about GPL
> source code.

 martin - the next phase is to send them a gentle but insistent
reminder that it is the legal responsibility of the Directors, and to
request that they ensure that they pass on the message, and to point
out that by not complying with the license they (Tesco's) are in
Criminal Infringement of Copyright - hence the urgent need to notify
the Directors.

 if they do not respond to that then notify gpl-violations ok?

 l.

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Ken Phillis Jr <kphillisjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I don't know if other folks noticed that already, but by now almost all
>>> Chinese ARM SoC vendors (targetting mass consumer market) put up some
>>> kind of "GPL/FOSS loyalty" page - and sources. I specifically call that
>>> "GPL loyalty" because as we know, there's some road ahead (maybe long)
>>> before it's "GPL compliance". Good news that some go beyond just GPL
>>> and provide Android sources, etc.
>>>
>>> It's yet to be seen how actually that useful technically as of now, but
>>> the talk about the outlook change. I'm sure that some of the vendors
>>> below did that because others did it. So, it looks like it gets
>>> self-sustaining, as put in subj: people come to you, and in
>>> quick chit-chat ask where's you GPL page, and if you say "nowhere", you
>>> get that strange look and people move to other booths, because
>>> Allwinner, Rockchip and everyone has it, and if you don't get that
>>> simple license thing, how you can actually hack on kernel and produce
>>> value?
>>>
>>> The list is:
>>>
>>> Telechips
>>>
>>> https://www.telechips.com/technical_support/kor/opensource/opensource_list.asp