[Arm-netbook] Chinese SoC vendor striving for world domination? Show your GPL loyalty page or get out of business!

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 19:47:24 BST 2013

Hello,

I don't know if other folks noticed that already, but by now almost all
Chinese ARM SoC vendors (targetting mass consumer market) put up some
kind of "GPL/FOSS loyalty" page - and sources. I specifically call that
"GPL loyalty" because as we know, there's some road ahead (maybe long)
before it's "GPL compliance". Good news that some go beyond just GPL
and provide Android sources, etc.

It's yet to be seen how actually that useful technically as of now, but
the talk about the outlook change. I'm sure that some of the vendors
below did that because others did it. So, it looks like it gets
self-sustaining, as put in subj: people come to you, and in
quick chit-chat ask where's you GPL page, and if you say "nowhere", you
get that strange look and people move to other booths, because
Allwinner, Rockchip and everyone has it, and if you don't get that
simple license thing, how you can actually hack on kernel and produce
value?

The list is:

Telechips
https://www.telechips.com/technical_support/kor/opensource/opensource_list.asp
Rockhip
http://git.linux-rockchip.org/public/
Allwinner
http://www.allwinnertech.com/en/awt/news/2013-04-23.html
Amlogic
http://openlinux.amlogic.com/
VIA/WondermediaLinux on small ARM machines
<arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
http://apc.io/library/

Rest of rant is here:
http://pfalcon-oe.blogspot.com/2013/10/growing-gplfoss-loyalty-among-chinese.html