[Arm-netbook] AMD 2W APU

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 14:00:19 GMT 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>   mass-volume.  no fans.  returns too great on mechanical parts.
>> failure.  plus heat pump as part of the standard would mean that *all*
>> products would need to have a heat pump.  that is extra overhead that
>> would destroy the standard because low-cost products would no longer
>> be low-cost.
>>
>>   so.... no.  no fans.  no heat pumps.
>

> water cooling?

 i'm not sure if you're joking, vladimir :)  assuming you're not: it
would be the sort of thing that would be ok on a CPU Card, if it
wasn't for the fact that it's only 5mm thick.  no on the I/O boards
because again, that would mean that *every* single system would have
to cope with the *possibility* of a 6W (or above) CPU Card.

 this will all be fine for the Type III PCMCIA Cards, that's on the
roadmap at some point.  there it will be absolutely fine to put in
thermal cooling by default onto I/O boards because the cost of such
systems would be higher anyway because the cost of the CPU Cards would
also be correspondingly higher (and also much faster clock speeds).