[Arm-netbook] HDMI variant low profile ethernet socket

Eric Stuyvesant metallurge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 12:56:44 GMT 2013

Back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, before USB, 3Com
used to make type I PCMCIA (and, later, Cardbus) ethernet cards which
used a short 6" or so dongle to bring the proprietary-but-nice
latching outward-facing card-edge connector out to a standard modular
jack. Variant dongle cables were available for the other 10-base-T
physical connector types, but these were really rare. The 3Com cards
were available rebadged as Dell, IBM, etc. I don't know if these
dongles are still in active production somewhere in China, but they
are still semi-available through ebay and such. "3Com dongle pcmcia"
are the key search terms.

If we're going to reinvent the wheel, it might be good to reuse the
old latching connector and dongle design, if it isn't
patent-encumbered.