[Arm-netbook] eoma68 router pcb

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 09:19:34 GMT 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 19:38 -0600, Christopher Thomas wrote:

> we had tremendous problems with thermal dissipation

In the past I have made PIC product with half a dozen
switch mode power supplies, charger and fast charger
all rolled into one device that needs so many
different power supplies for different functions.

The one PIC chip was operating all the power supplies
through software rather than hardware.

PIC and ARM Cortex chips are fast enough these days to
to generate the signals on the fly in software so that
it is possible to get 1.2V, 1.25V, 1.8V, 3.3V, 5V, trickle
charger and fast charger functions all into one
chip with an optically isolated RS232 or an I2C comms link
and built in EEPROM to control internal functions.
It should universally wipe out the numerous power solutions
that EEs are doing up for their boards and replace it
with just the one that is GPL'd, cheap and free to use,
and supported by a Linux driver.

May be wrong mailing list to talk up such things,
or may be a new mailing list needed to talk up all the
infrastructure projects that go into making EOMAs, Cubies, Olixinos,
netbooks, IoT devices because these are infrastructure
projects with common benefit. The infrastructure projects are
fully GPL'd and generate a lot of hard to keep up noise
(EE noise and embedded software coding noise)
whilst being sorted out.