[Arm-netbook] update to EOMA68 specification [was Re: 5" LCD resolution 800x480 working for EOMA but color problems may exist because of miswire]

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sun Nov 10 21:33:34 GMT 2013

"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> writes:
>  instead, the spec therefore has to reflect that and require that the
> I/O boards add in suitable compensating circuitry instead.  none of
> the I/O boards have gone into production yet, so that's the only
> remaining place where the flexibility and changes can go.

It strikes me that the I/O board is actually the right place for that
protective circuitry anyway.

Putting such circuitry on the CPU card consumes space where space is at a
premium, and for applications where the RS232 is superfluous, you would be
forced to pay for components you don't need.

Now that it's defined as going on the I/O board, people that don't need
RS232 can simply leave those pins unconnected and they'll have fulfilled
the requirements to protect the pin from power.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. It just occurred to me that even where it had been decided not to bother
with RS232 on a device, if one discovered a need to access it one could
have a pass-through board that would stick out of the side of the
device, and have a socket for a CPU card, and expose the RS232 lines
(via relevant protection as per standard), with all other connections
going to the PCMCIA plug at the other end of the card.
|-|  HANDS.COM Ltd.                    http://ftp.uk.debian.org/