[Arm-netbook] Two Questions: MEB/Card/Case and VGA Proto

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 4 18:48:48 GMT 2013

On Monday, November 4, 2013 13:26:17 Christopher Havel wrote:
> >> thinks it'll be a cakewalk. I'm not 100% sure, mostly because of that
> >> EEPROM and the fact that I can't compile.
> >
> > the EEPROM doesn’t interfere with anything; you can happily ignore it as
> > much as you want.
>
> It's not "interference" that I'm concerned about with the EEPROM. It's
> an interface issue -- how does an OS, eg FatDogARM, "know" that the
> EEPROM is there, read the contents, and act accordingly...? I know that
> ARM is largely un-autoprobe-able...

FatDogARM won’t need to know it is there unless it wants to get things like
the device ID.

for that .. if we can agree on the format of data on the EEPROM in the other
thread, you’ll get a library and command line tool that handles that for you.

anyways, this isn’t an ARM issue as much as it is a bus issue. you can
actually probe an i2c bus .. though it can undesired side effects (generally
used for troubleshooting and poking at devices). the usb, sata... those buses
support such things, however, just fine.

anyways, the EOMA68 informational EEPROM address is hardcoded to a specific i2c
address on a specific i2c bus. you can see this in the EOMA68 spec.

--
Aaron J. Seigo