[Arm-netbook] The Potential at Hand. (Was: device tree not the answer in the ARM world)

Rob J. Epping rob.epping at gmail.com
Tue May 28 21:19:48 BST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> and you imagine that the average person will buy a "whatever player" that
> costs more because he can maybe upgrade it?
>
> In the past, that was true for e.g. PCs, but simply for the reason that most
> PCs were these big grey boxes with PCI slots. These days average people buy
> iPads ...
>
> but hey, let's agree to disagree :)

Inserting € 0,02 here ...

To me this "business case" is seems valid when you look at car technology.
On average cars last longer than computers (or most computer standards
for that matter) but looking at the technology going into cars at the
moment car manufacturers don't seem to get that. The examples I see
are car-kits (now obsolete) and Ford sync. There probably are more.

In 5 to 10 years the car will still be usable to drive but the
technology inside won't be usable much anymore I think.
I can see a plugin upgrade to add more computational capacity sell.
Maps get more detailed and thus bigger and harder to route on.
Bluetooth might be replaced. Internet access probably will be cheaper,
faster and more omnipresent. etc. etc. etc.

So although the "whatever player" might not be a very good example I
see other options where people will be buying upgrades.
--
GRTNX,
RobJE