[Arm-netbook] DIY Pocket Computer

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Thu May 23 13:49:37 BST 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 08:42 +0000, joem wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 06:37 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross
> > <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me> wrote:
> > > I have been thinking of making a my own pocket computer case. I can do basic
> > > stuff like soldering but not design circuits. Would it be possible to
> > > squeeze into a form factor of half the size of the flying squirrel tablet:
> >
> >  yes if you didn't mind it being about an inch thick.
> >
> > > *touch screen
> >
> >  what type?
> >
> > > *screen lcd, colour e-ink, led ? Must be usable/piratical in full sunlight.
> >
> >  you'll need e-ink - anything else is impractical in sunlight.
> >
> > > price/££ costing?
> >
> >  is going to depend on volume.
>

> A pencil case computer?!
>
> 9.5" x 3.5" x 1"
> The folding case can open to reveal micro keyboard, screen can be 3"x6".
> Should easily take an eoma.
> Big 2 x 2" stereo speakers?
> + tray for pencil essential! (not :) ).
> [most e-ink can't do video + "full sunlight" on the
>  spec is bordering on unrealistic demand ]

Pencil case easy to make - its not pretending to be design icon.

Just for geeks in server rooms - keyboard can be made with
output socket like a USB keyboard, to connect to PCs such
as headless server. Likewise a video socket to accept
VGA or HDMI incoming signals and put it on the display to make it
into a pencil case monitor.
A mousepad or a micro joystick - good to have.
Physical ethernet socket to connect into networks.
Real RS232 connector to log into equipment and use it like a tty
terminal. Little flashlight LED, and camera to take photos/ use it as a
webcam, IP webcam, and security recorder / motion detect alert. 180
degree hinge to allow the device to be used as a mini tablet. Power out
from battery for emergency power up of gadgets.
Accelerometer for gaming controls.