[Arm-netbook] device tree not the answer in the ARM world [was: Re: running Debian on a Cubieboard]

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri May 10 09:04:54 BST 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/2013 10:32 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
>>   ok, let me try to illustrate.  compare the following two scenarios:
>>
>>   * DVD player.  with EOMA-68 CPU card.  upgrade time: 10 seconds.  a)
>> push button.  b) pull CPU card.  c) put new CPU card in.  d) push
>> until flush with case.  e) power on.
>
> why would anybody upgrade a DVD player?

 you've seen how awkward and risky it is to upgrade the firmware of DVD players?

> will that make the optical unit
> support Bluray suddenly?

 of course not.

>>   EOMA-68 is targetted at *MASS VOLUME* products, for *END USERS* to be
>> able to upgrade their products.
>
> you keep repeating that over and over, but you never say *why* "end
> users" would do that.

 it's hard to say because there is nothing else in the world for them
to compare against.

 so it is you who has to imagine.

 if you cannot imagine, i cannot help you.

 additionally, you may not have been reading properly, vladimir.  i
have said time and time again why end-users would want to upgrade
their products.  is it not obvious?

 ok, let's try this.

 do you buy a product and then throw it away after 18 months when it
is obsolete?

 please answer that question first and we will move on from there.