[Arm-netbook] Allwinner outsells Intel

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:41:55 BST 2013

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/08/2013 10:50 PM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:

>> 4. For Allwinner it makes sense to integrate a 3G (or 4G) modem, so
>> they can sell chips to smartphone vendors.
>
> I doubt Allwinner could compete with Mediatek and Huawei on phones  with
> such a late start in this market.

 it's damn hard - not just marketing but technically.  i know a little
bit about GSM and 3G (enough to be dangerous :) and it's tricky to
combine high-frequency analog (I+Q in and I+Q out) with digital (a
DSP, the high-accuracy timers and the CPU as well).  then also you
have to have access to the R.F. front-end transceiver chipsets. then
you _also_ have to bring on board expertise in R.F. PCB design, and be
prepared to help the customers through that stage.

 all in all it's a hell of a lot of investment, and unless they find a
company to buy up that already has the expertise, my take on it is
that anyone not already in the market is better off staying well away.