[Arm-netbook] A minimal A10 SBC

Ajith Kumar ajith at iuac.res.in
Thu Mar 28 04:22:00 GMT 2013

P1

> ---
>
> B1, B2, B3 - call +1.5V "DRAM_VCC" and +0.75V "DRAM-REF", then put 1
> of the capacitors connected directly to the DRAM-REF, and mark it
> "keep as close to DDR3 as possible", to remind yourself.  joe will
> know what value those need to be, but that ref voltage *must* be kept

All the decoupling capacitors kept on one sheet for ease of handling, will
note it down in the schematic about the critical positions. Joe is going to
attempt a layout. Could you give some suggestions regarding layers, the
ones to be dedicated for ground etc. My understanding is that there should
be s ground layer next to the DDR3 tracks to get the characteristic
impedance correct and also to give good return path. Something like:
L1 : tracks , L2 : ground, L3 : power, L4 : tracks, L5 : GND, L6 : tracks
Since you already have done it, please make some concrete suggestions on
that.

> A6, A7 - 24mhz XTAL is connected to RTC :)  that'll need to be to N23
> and N22 :)  then, if you are going to have an RTC, you *need* that
> 32mhz crystal - you cannot leave it off.  remember the 10M/1% resistor
> which needs to be put in parallel with the 32mhz XTAL.

That was a mistake, intention is to use only the 24MHz oscillator, not the
32k one. Corrected.

> E4, E5 - if the SY8008C is the same as the SY8008B, then you want
> resistors 10x that size, and you want them @ 1%.  so: R10 = 150K/1%,
> R11 = 100K/1%, and R13 = 442K/1% and R16 = 100K/1%.

SY8008B or C would do 1A and 1.2A, the resistors calculated as per the data
book. Olinuxino seems to be using 1.1K and 4.99K, I thought it is too much
of current wasted and used higher values. 100k & 1500k will make the
feedback path current 4 micro amps, will it make it more prone to noise.
Should I change it ?

> also you're missing the capacitors which *must* be close to the SY8008
> - you want a 10uF on the IN as well as the OUT, but also on the OUT
> you want a 2nd much *smaller* capacitor (joe - 0.1uF?) as this catches
> the high frequencies.  make sure you put these as connected directly
> to the SY8008 because that tells you, when you come to do the layout,

The instructions for layout will be marked in the schematic, so that is it
is not overlooked.

to each and every single pin.  my recommendation here: follow the
> example schematic on p5 of the AXP209 datasheet.

I did not find an English version, learned somewhat from a lower version
AXP202.

> C7 - what's the 6-pin thing connected to DM0/DP0?  it's not marked.

Another mistake, it is only a USB header with two shield pins. Corrected.

> other comments:
>
> * no JTAG!  no JTAG+UART equals very very baaad :)

Should I add a 20 pin JTAG connector or just bring  TDI0, TDO0, TMS0, TCK0
and RESET to a header. Please suggest.

with regards

Ajith

> * joe, what you reckon - a 5V Zener diode on VUSB near the CPU? VUSB's
> range is +4.75 to +5.25.  put a BZT52C5V1S from VUSB to GND?
>
> /peace
>
> l.

Dr. Ajith Kumar B.P.
Scientist SH