[Arm-netbook] Performance problems with wifi on the Mele-A2000

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Mar 23 20:39:07 GMT 2013

>> I've been having performance problems with the wifi connection of my
>> Mele-A2000 and have finally got around to try and track it down.
>> I thought at first it was a problem with the 8192cu driver in my (stock
>> Android) firmware (e.g. its reporting large amounts of dropped RX), but
>> it seems like this is not the problem.

Hmm... at least with the external USB dongle using the rt2800usb driver,
I found out that the problem is most likely poor reception: the link
quality and signal level are apparently too low, and if I move the
antenna, I can get a much more stable connection.

I used to have an ASUS WL-700gE at that spot and never experienced such
problem, but I guess it had a better antenna.

I can't so easily move the antenna of the internal rtl8192cus wifi, so
I haven't yet been able to confirm that this is also the source of the
problem with that card, but for now, I think there's not much point
digging further.  Instead, I now have to figure out how to replace the
internal antenna with an external one.

        Stefan