[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 1st patch orders gone out, and invoices

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Wed Jun 12 17:45:14 BST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Christopher Thomas
> <christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:
> > Maybe I missed this somewhere on the list (I did a google search "headers
> > site:http://lists.phcomp.co.uk/pipermail/arm-netbook/"), but looking at
> the
> > samples posted here
> > http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/news/working_sample_002.png , I
> don't
> > see the FPC45 expansion header listed on the orders page, nor the 44pin
> DIL
> > present on the Rev0 engineering sample from December. Will these also be
> > absent from the 1st Batch orders and/or the "final" revision?
>
>  yes.  there's simply been not enough space.  also, the PCB was
> designed with *only* 3 signal layers (and 2 GND and 1 power) which
> means that you juuust siimply *cannot* get the routing over to an
> expansion header.
>
>  well... i say that: just not with the existing layout you can't.  if
> completely redoing it (means: more NREs) then it could be considered.
>
> > If it has been
> > mentioned can someone provide the approximate date for which it was
> posted
> > that they would be absent?
>
>  about 4-6 months ago.  best i can do.
>
> > If they are absent due to size constraints,
> > perhaps a secondary revision could be considered utilizing these?
>
>  yes.... once we have some money coming in from the sales of the 1st
> revision, such that we have the funds available (appx $10k) necessary
> to pay for the CAD/CAM rework, NREs for PCB printing etc. etc.

Is the $10K "just" for the CAD/CAM work, or does it encompass assembly too?
What are the NRE costs for the PCB printing, I ask because I might be able
to get a lower rate with one of our local vendors, which might help to
provide an alternate manufacturer of some parts to cut down on some of the
shipping/import taxes for some of us North American customers.

 at the same time we'll look at using that chinese 2-die RAM chip so
> that we only need 2 DDR3 RAM ICs.  that will free up some space.
>

> http://www.samtec.com/documents/webfiles/pdf/FTMH_SM.PDF .
> >
> > I've had great success with the Samtec FTMH-120-03-F-DV for my WiPort
> > devices. (40 pin Micro-LowProfile SMT DIL), the FTMH can be ordered with
> > upto 50 pins. The FTMH can handle 2.5A per contact, and the FTM can
> handle
> > 1.5A per contact, and the vendor (Samtec) has an excellent
> Samples/Shipping
> > policy. Received complimentary next day shipping for 25 units.
>
>  argh, we needed you about.... about.... 6-8 months ago!  if i had
> this information then, it could have been considered.
>
>  l.

Well now you have the information for future potential revisions. :D I only
discovered the EOMA68 due to the Liliput announcement, so I've been a
little late to the game. Haha

 Speaking of which, I would be greatly appreciative of the inclusion of
said header, since our initial design was very reliant on it, and was based
around the information currently provided on Rhombus Tech's website. It was
partially my fault, as I did not notice the exclusion of the headers when
the 5 Test Units were first debuted, and I was not subscribed to the
mailing list at that time it was announced due to my lack of reading
accuracy. Haha.

It might be beneficial to post the exclusion on the Orders page, or some
notice that the FPC 45 and 44 DIL are not currently available for the first
revision boards, but that attempts will be made to try to include them in
the later revisions..

-Christopher