[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

Neal Peacock neal at nic-stix.com
Fri Jun 7 22:41:45 BST 2013

On 06/07/2013 05:29 PM, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>
>> Maxime will reply to this in more details, but I believe the status is:
>>
>>   * Interrupt controller is working.
>>   * Clock drivers are working.
>>   * Pinctrl is working.
>>   * GPIO is working.
>>   * Timer is working.
>>   * UART is working
>>   * Watchdog is on its way (patches posted)
>>   * Ethernet is on its way (patches posted)
>>   * I2C is on its way (patches posted)
>   ok so i've got this now in
> http://hands.com/~lkcl/allwinner_linux_proposal.txt - that leaves...
> well there's quite a bit: usb, sd/mmc (both variants: they changed the
> data structures around sun5i), nand (probably both - the allwinner one
> and the mtd one being done, reminds me: we need full documentation on
> the NAND chip), scsi, g2d - cedarx and more.
>
>   what else should be raised, and to what benefit?
Well this seems kind of small next to the rest of it but anyway, their
flashing software crashes if your image has a partition larger than
512MB.  This generally prevents creating Linux images with X that will
flash directly to the nand, they always end up too large. If they are
interested in offering Tizen or Plasma in the future it will effect them
as well.  Since the tools are closed source we haven't been able to fix
it, but if they could just release improved binaries that would be enough.

Recently Matson figured out a workaround by dividing the rootfs into
multiple partitions though so its not really critical.

Neal Peacock
PengPod